Classified as historical monuments since 1840, these two Roman monuments
(the Triumphal Arch and the Mausoleum of the Jules) are witnesses of the early
times of Saint-Rémy de Provence.
Known as the Antiques, they have attracted walkers, painters and photographers for centuries.
For more than 16 centuries, they were the only visible constructions of the Greco-Roman city of Glanum, forgotten by all.
This destroyed city was only excavated and brought to light from 1921.
The Municipal Arch expresses through its reliefs the glory of Rome and the fate reserved for its opponents.
It stood at the entrance to the City of Glanum in the years 10-25 AD.
It currently measures 8 meters in height.
It was designed with an architecture very close to that of the city of Orange.
Over time, it lost its upper parts (entablature and attic).
Funerary monument, the Mausoleum is one of the best preserved Roman constructions.
Built at the entrance of the ancient city of Glanum, it rises to about 17 meters.
It was erected in the years 30-20 BC by the descendants of a local notable who received Roman citizenship for war deeds in Caesar's army.
This notable also had the honor of receiving the same name as the Dictator, Julius. The inscription on the west face bears witness.
"Sextius, Lucius, Marcus, sons of Caius, of the family of the Julii, to their parents"
The statues in the tholos (a monumental circular construction)
would represent two members of the family.
Very degraded, they were replaced by identical copies during the restoration of 2007-2008.